Sunday 22 July 2012

Akbar Birbal Stories : The Box of Jewels

The Box of Jewels

Long long ago there lived an old main in Delhi. He was very rich and a miser too. He spent only that much as was necessary. He had an old, large box in which he kept his jewels. Once his hut caught fire. The man somehow managed to escape the fire. But as soon as he remembered his jewels, he started crying. Soon a large crowd surrounded him. A goldsmith came forward and said, “Now don’t cry, friend. It was just a thatched hut, it can be easily rebuilt.

Just thank God that He saved you.”

“But He didn’t save my jewels,” the old man sobbed, “Oh God! I’m lost.” “Jewels? Which jewels?” asked the goldsmith curiously.

 

“I had a box full of jewels that I always kept under my bed,” replied the man.

The goldsmith was very greedy. He made a plan to process the jewels.

He said, “What if I get that box for you?”

“Then I’ll do anything for you,” said the man wiping his tears.

“Okay! I’ll get the box of jewels for you. I’ll give you whatever I like and rest I’ll keep with myself,” said the greedy goldsmith.

The man gladly agreed.

The goldsmith risked his life and brought the box of jewels from the mouth of fire. He then said, “Do you remember my condition or not. . . that whatever I like,  will be given to you and rest will remain with me.”

The man gave an affirmative expression. To this, the goldsmith gave a vicious smile. He offered him the empty box and kept the jewels for himself.

The man was shocked. He said, “Dear friend, I understood that you risked your life to get these jewels but you are being unfair to me. You can have half of the jewels, I have no objection, but what you are doing is not fair. After all, it’s my hard-earned money.”

“I don’t want to listen to you,” said the goldsmith, “Whether unfair or fair, I’ll do what we had pre-decided.’ Saying this, the goldsmith bluntly denied to give him any jewels. Finally, fighting and cursing, they went to King Akbar’s court. King Akbar found the matter highly complicated. He sought the help of Birbal.

Birbal asked the goldsmith to repeat the condition.

“Your Majesty, the condition was that whatever I like, I shall give him and the rest I’ll keep with myself,” said the goldsmith.

“Okay, what do you like?” asked Birbal. “I like the jewels, Sir,” replied the goldsmith.

“Then give them to him.”

“But...  Sir...,” the goldsmith asked.

“Why?” asked Birbal. “Didn’t you say that whatever you like, you shall give to him? You said that you like the jewels, now fulfill your promise and give them to him.”

The goldsmith was speechless. He was caught in the web of his own words. But he could hardly do anything. He quietly picked up the empty box and went away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More