Sunday 8 July 2012

GREAT RELIEF IN HEAVEN

GREAT RELIEF IN HEAVEN 
The following story is from the Libre Belgique, the anonymous periodical secretly published in Brussels, and which the utmost vigilance of the German authorities has been unable to suppress.

Once upon a time Doctor Bethman−Holweg went up to heaven. The pearly gates were shut, but he began to push his way through in the usual German fashion. St. Peter rushed out of his lodge, much annoyed at the commotion.
 
"Hi, there, who are you?" he demanded.
 
"I am Doctor Von Bethman−Holweg, the imperial chancellor," was the haughty reply.
 
"Well, you don't seem to be dead; what are you doing around here?"
 
"I want to see God."
 
"Sorry," replied St. Peter, "but I don't think you can see him to−day; in fact, he's not very well."
 
"Ah, I'm distressed to hear that," said the chancellor somewhat more politely. "What seems to be the trouble?"
 
"We don't quite know, but we are afraid it is a case of exaggerated ego," answered St. Peter. "He keeps
walking up and down, occasionally striking his chest with his clenched fist, and muttering to himself: 'I am the kaiser! I am the kaiser!'"
 
"Dear me! that is really very sad," said the chancellor in a still kindlier tone. "Now I happen to be the bearer of a communication from my imperial master; perhaps it might cheer him up to hear it."
 
"What is it?"
 
"Why, the emperor has just issued a decree, providing that in future he shall have the use of the nobiliary particle; from henceforth he will have the right to call himself 'Von Gott'." 
 
"Step right in, your excellency," interrupted St. Peter. "I am very sure the new Graf will be much gratified to
learn of the honor done him. Third door to the right. Mind the step. Thank you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More