Sunday 22 July 2012

Akbar Birbal Stories : Breaking the Bonds

Breaking the Bonds

Prince Salim was around eighteen or nineteen years old when he made friends with Haricharan, the son of a rich merchant. They got so much engrossed in their friendship that they forgot their other responsibilities. They just talked and unnecessarily wasted their time without doing anything worthwhile.

One day the merchant approached Birbal and said, “I am not against their friendship. But I believe that friendship is just an aspect of life. One should not stake his whole life and his work for friendship.

Birbal understood what the merchant intended to say.

But still he asked him, “State clearly, Sir. What do you want to say?”

The merchant said, “Sir, my son and Prince Salim have become very close friends. It may be fine for the Prince as he is not required to learn anything for his living. He is destined to become the ruler of India. But, with my son ignoring lessons of trade at this age, he will definitely suffer and miss the experiences.

“I can understand that,” replied Birbal, “Don’t worry, I’ll surely solve this matter.”

One day, Birbal talked to King Akbar about this.

Akbar said, “Even I am very worried about their friendship. Haricharan is just required to manage his petty business which anyone can do. But Prince Salim has to govern the entire country.”

“Then, what do you want, Your Majesty? Should I try to end their friendship?” asked Birbal.

Akbar patted his back and said, “I know it’s not good to spoil the friendly relation between the two persons, but at present it would be preferable to break their friendship.”

“Don’t worry, Sir,” said Birbal, “From now onwards, they will not see each other’s face.” That every evening, Birbal called both Salim and the merchant’s son and started talking to them.


Suddenly, he said to merchant’s son, “Haricharan! I want to talk to you about something.”

“Please do, Sir,” said Haricharan.

“It’s a very confidential matter,” saying this Birbal dragged him aside. The merchant’s son, highly confused, followed him like a kid. Birbal whispered some meaningless words into his ears. Before Haricharan could understand anything, Birbal went away and cried,

“Don’t tell this to anyone.”

Haricharan looked at him quizzically and went towards Salim.

“What did he say?” asked Salim.

“Nothing, absolutely nothing,” replied Haricharan.

“Don’t lie, my friend,” said Prince Salim. “Just now Birbal told you some confidential thing. Can’t you tell me that. After all, I’m your friend, am I not?” “Dear friend, he said nothing. Please believe me,” said Haricharan.

“How can I believe you if you don’t trust me?” said the Prince. “I don’t expect this from you,” he said and went away fuming with rage.

Haricharan too started burning with anger and walked away. When Akbar got this news, he called Birbal and asked him, “What did you say to Haricharan, Birbal?”

Birbal whispered those meaningless words into the ears of Akbar. The King understood the entire thing and started laughing heartily.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More